Choosing a career is a crucial decision that will put your future on the line. Meaning, you should carefully decide on a career that you won’t take for granted or regret taking later on. There are a lot of career paths to choose – medical, law, arts, entertainment, and events, to name a few.
Speaking of events, it is one of the most exciting and lucrative yet one of the most demanding industries out there. Events management can be anywhere from owning tent rentals or corporate tent rentals, to owning an entire events company. The events industry may have taken a backseat in the meantime due to the pandemic.
But soon enough, the events industry will find ways to bounce back and adapt to the new normal. How we conduct and celebrate events may be different months or even years from now. However, we cannot simply imagine our lives without attending important events whether for business, entertainment, or for personal purposes.
What to expect in events management
If you want to work in an exciting environment with the potential to earn a lot plus gain loads of experience, you should consider studying events management. Even if you graduated in a different field, it is not too late to change careers if you want. But before jumping ship, you need to think about it carefully.
Understandably, people would often consider salary as a factor when thinking about a career path to take. Like in any other industry, the salary can range differently depending on your years of experience in this kind of industry. Whether you own a table and chair rentals or wedding tent rentals business, the potential earnings plus the experience you will gain later on will be worth it.
Being in the events industry will teach you a lot of skills that will be beneficial professionally and personally. These include the following:
- You will be able to exercise your creativity and resourcefulness (ex. creating presentations for clients, sourcing for suppliers, venues, etc.)
- Shyness is a no-no in this industry. You will be talking to a lot of people including clients, stakeholders, staff and crew, and others.
- You also need to practice your marketing skills to promote your business and your clients’.
- Events people also need to be highly-organized especially that this industry is hectic and demanding.
- Being proactive is also a must especially that we do not know what can happen ahead (ex. employing first-aid personnel during large events, having a plan B in case of technical issues, etc.)
Events management is a broad term. Some specialize in wedding rental packages, while others are experts in outdoor events, corporate events, or music festivals. There are many types of events that you can specialize in depending on your field of interest within the industry.
Why studying events management is a good idea
Here are good reasons why taking up events management as a career is a great idea.
- It helps in improving your confidence and communication skills. Whether you are planning to own a party rentals or tent rentals business, you will have to deal with various clients.
- It can make you a great and effective team player.
- You will learn the value of customer service.
- It can unleash your creativity, innovation, and resourcefulness.
- It will challenge you in a good way that can provide you a lot of learnings and experiences.
- You can be your boss! (if you are planning to start your own events business)
Different event management services types
As mentioned, there are a lot of events that you can be an expert on. But to give an idea, it can be summarized into three major types: personal, leisure, and organizational.
Personal events include planning a birthday party, weddings, anniversaries, and other similar events.
Leisure events can be those organizing sports and entertainment events (ex. music festivals, beauty pageants, movie launches, etc.).
Organizational events include those related to companies, political parties, and other organizations. This may include trades and exhibits, corporate events, seminars and conferences, and the like.
A challenging yet fulfilling career
Pursuing a career in events management can be overwhelming at first. We all know how demanding to work in this industry. But at the end of the day, the experiences and people you will meet will all be worth it. So if you want to start a business in event rentals in MD or an events company someday, you should take up an events management course one of these days.