Planning a wedding is exciting especially for soon-to-be-wed couples. A lot of couples tend to be hands-on when it comes to their wedding plans. There will be disagreements and compromises at some point, but it is all part of the planning stage. But all of the stress will be worth it once you and your now-spouse can exchange “I do’s” and make their union legit in the eyes of the law and the eyes of the Being above.
There are a lot of things to consider when planning a wedding. For one, you might have to get the best wedding tent rental packages or tent rentals suppliers if you are planning an outdoor wedding. Others have to avail of staging and dance floor rentals for the separate wedding reception area. It can be an exciting but challenging affair for a once-in-a-lifetime moment of a couple’s life.
Some couples plan their weddings themselves, while others hire wedding planners. Speaking of which, wedding planners can help you with organizing your to-do list leading up to your wedding day. But then, you also have to understand the scope of a wedding planner’s job.
What wedding planners do
For starters, wedding planners… well, plan a couple’s wedding. Organizational, attention to detail and negotiation skills are important as a wedding planner. First, the wedding planner will have to meet with the soon-to-be-wed couple for the following reasons:
- Know more about what will happen and what to take care of during the wedding event
- Check the wedding budget
- Understand the wedding theme and other details that the couple would want to include in the wedding
- Update the couple about the progress of the wedding plans
- Drafting a contract detailing the wedding services
- Prevent any mistakes that can compromise the wedding budget (ex. rush orders, shipping charges, etc.)
- Inform you of what is trending in weddings (ex. wedding gowns, locations, photography, etc.)
- Coordinate with various suppliers (table and chair rentals, staging and dance floor rentals, catering, floral services, photographers, etc.)
- Suggest wedding reception design/arrangement
- Serve as a mediator in case of conflicts between you and relatives or even with your soon-to-be spouse
What wedding planners don’t do
The above mentioned are only some of the most important tasks to do as a wedding planner. However, they can only do so much when it comes to their job responsibilities. As a client, you should expect them not to do these following tasks unless paid extra for it.
- They are not obliged to serve food to the guests. You should also include them in your food budget
- They should not cut the wedding cake. It’s mostly a ceremonial thing, but it is also a good idea to hold the cake supplier liable in case there is some food poisoning or design failure that occurred.
- They should also not serve as your DJ or emcee. Hire professional DJs or emcees for the wedding event instead.
- They do not carry the guests’ gifts from the reception area. Wedding planners should not have the responsibility to take care of your wedding gifts. Instead, let someone from both the groom and the bride’s family move the gifts to the couple’s place.
- Wedding planners should not be the ones taking care of the marriage license. It’s the couple’s responsibility to take care of the documents so they can get married.
- They are also not responsible for storing left-over wedding food. It is better to let the catering supplier deal with left-overs as they are more familiar with food handling and safety.
What to look for in a wedding coordinator
It is important to do your research when looking for wedding tent rentals and other wedding suppliers. The same goes when looking for a wedding coordinator. Here are tips to consider when looking for a wedding coordinator.
- Make sure that the coordinator is responsive and easy to contact at any time of the day.
- Stay away from wedding coordinators who get extra cash for suggesting a specific wedding vendor.
- The wedding coordinator/planner should also jive with your style and taste.
- Make sure to have a clear and detailed copy of the contract so you will know what to expect with the coordinator’s services.
Getting married is every couple’s dream. It can be challenging since we are in the middle of a pandemic. But there are ways that wedding planners can do to pull off their clients’ dream wedding. For your other rental needs, you can check out event rentals in Northern VA.